September 29, 2013

Claudine's double digit birthday


How time flies! Gone are the days for girly girl cakes. The birthday girl requested a mini IPad in her favourite colour.  She's 10 (double digit  according to her) after all.

I am quite pleased with the smooth cake but not so much of the "IPad".    The IPad was made of chewy muesli bars covered in chocolate and dipped  in melted chocolate melts. I tried to make it close to the original size.






While waiting for the "IPad" to harden, I covered the classic chocolate cake with coffee buttercream filling in dark chocolate ganache.

Classic Chocolate  Cake in Dark Chocolate Ganache


See how almost perfectly smooth my ganache is? Thanks to all the tutorials and tips from the internet. I now know the correct ratio of chocolate to cream to achieve a perfect ganache. I then covered it in fondant.


I am so pleased with the fondant too. The smooth ganache resulted in a smooth fondant finish. It may not be perfect compared to the professionals but good enough for my first try after following the tutorials and tips. Let's continue on with the "IPad".

 
IPad Cake

It came out too thick, about twice the normal depth of the real one. I was so tempted to cut it to make it thinner but I was running out of time. Besides, I couldn't afford to make a mistake or else bye bye edible image.  I had the edible image printed out from a cake supply shop for a polished look. Truth is, I didn't have sufficient time and patience to make the little icons with fondant. Plus, the icons would not be realistic if  raised from the "screen".

Mini IPad Cake

I had several ideas for the cake decoration but I found it difficult to execute. So, I made up the design as I went along finishing the cake.


Classic Chocolate Cake with Coffee Buttercream filling and Dark Chocolate Ganache


The apple logo was supposed to be  the border around the cake. It was time consuming to cut several pieces of the logo without a mold.   Anyway, A is for apple.  Here's the complete cake.


Mini Ipad Cake

The IPad can be actually carried separately.  Since she is too young (and  it's expensive !) to have the IPad , this will do for now!

Mini IPad Cake with the birthday girl

Let's have a slice of the moist classic chocolate  cake with coffee buttercream filling and ganache.


See you next post!

No comments :

Post a Comment