September 14, 2013

The Help: Minny's Chocolate Pie

I watched the 'The Help" movie and liked it so much that when my daughter pointed out the book at a 'Church Sale', I did not hesitate to buy it. Plus, it was only $2. Don't be deceived with the price. It does not mean that because it was cheap, it was not worth reading.  It was for fundraising  and besides it is just the way it is here, used items are sold cheaper.



I read it everyday while on the train to and from work. I was reading it in the voices of the movie characters (like a live audio in my head). After I finished reading, I wanted to watch the movie again. It is that good!   Whilst any present day  experience  of some people are incomparable to what was back then, the issues are still relevant today.  It reminds me of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) who despite being University Graduates are working as "helpers".  We have read stories on how the OFW are being maltreated and discriminated.

The character that stood out for me is Minny. Her excellent cooking skills were matched with a big mouth. Oh yes, she did not take crap from anybody (except form her husband)  instead  she gave them "crap".  People put up with her because she was a good cook. I hear you sayin' " I like her coz I am like her"!

At Jacksonville, Minny was famous for her chocolate pie. The author of the book shared  Demetrie's recipe ( her dear helper ).  I replicated it here but made it smaller.

Demetrie's Chocolate Pie

During the filming of the movie, 52 pies were made. So I tried Lee Ann Flemming's recipe  too from The Help Movie.

Chocolate Pie (Source: Lee Ann Flemming)

I liked the book and the movie so why not do both?

Chocolate Pie from the movie on the left and Demetrie's on the right

Both versions taste nice. It all depends on what you prefer. Demetrie's recipe is more chocolatey and almost mousse like while Lee Flemming's recipe is gooey and "milky".

I made mini ones too.



Let's eat. Don't worry, I did not add Minny's secret recipe!

See you next post.

No comments :

Post a Comment